Weight Loss Surgery Information
Sleeve Gastrectomy Facts From Our Clinic
- Dr Hehir has performed over 490 sleeve gastrectomies.
- average weight lost is 75% of their excess weight by 1 year.
- 15% of our patients have lost 90% or more of their excess weight
- Rate of complications is low, similar to a gall bladder operation.
- Dr Hehir’s results show a lower than the national average for complications
- 15% of patients have previously had a lap band with similar outcomes
- Dr Hehir is a member of ANZMOSS (ANZ Metabolic and Obesity Surgery Society)
- All operations are tracked through the National Bariatric Registry
- Very low reoperation rates
- 3% required a gastroscopy post surgery within 12 months
- 1% required a blood transfusion but recovered fully.
- Main problems are reflux (usually managed with medications), gastric leak and weight regain due to enlarged stomach, and Vitamin B12 deficiency
Reasons for weight loss surgery
- quality of life (workplace and social)
- sleep apnoea
- bowel and breast cancer
- fertility especially polycystic ovary syndrome
- cardiac disease
- work place and social discrimination
- body image
- medical issues
- follow up locally
- very competitive results
- gall bladder
- hair loss
Criteria for patient selection
- any of the above reasons
- BMI of 32 or above
- generally aged between 20 and 70 depending on individual assessment
- the operation cannot be performed in the local Public system so patients need to be financial.
- please contact us on 44235507 for a quote
One Anastomosis Gastric Bypass – mini gastric bypass
- Introduced January 2019 for patients less likely to do well with sleeve gastrectomy (i.e. high BMI, age > 50 years, diabetes, revisions)
- Now offered to almost all
- Well tolerated
- Over 150 patients
- Excess weight loss at one year over 66%, but patients generally older
- Bigger patients having one anastomosis gastric bypass
- 1% early reoperation in 1st week
- 5% need endoscopy in 3 months
- Combined band removal and one anastomosis gastric bypass were associated with 2 early reoperations
- Nutritional – manageable with supplements
- Variation sugars with high protein diet
- Ulcers – need medication for 6 weeks or more
- Need for gastric dilation
Very occasionally, Dr. Hehir will recommend an operation he does not perform, and you will be referred elsewhere.